Re: [CQ-Contest] Remote contest operation

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Remote contest operation
From: w5ov@w5ov.com
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 13:46:01 -0500
As much as it pains me, I'll bite.  Let's focus on this error-filled comment:

> I am using the internet here and now, in a ham radio activity, to rebut
his arguments.  In this context, the internet is an accessory - it is
not a communications medium replacing or displacing amateur-band RF in
contest QSOs between people as it most certainly is when used for remote
control of contest stations. <

Well, no it's not. First thing, email on a contest-related reflector is
not  a "ham radio activity".  There is no amateur RF involved at all.

It is, rather, an "email activity" with ham radio as the subject matter.
Also to the contrary, in this context, the Internet is not an "accessory",
the Internet ACTUALLY IS THE COMMUNICATIONS MEDIUM!

You say (paraphrasing) that the Internet is replacing or displacing
amateur-band RF in contest QSOS. Please explain how this is so?

There is no alteration or displacement of the RF path in remote contesting
whatsoever and I pointed that out earlier.

Let's say I'm operating at my station in Dallas and you and I have a QSO.

The RF path begins at the back of my radio, goes to my antenna, through
the ionosphere to Ireland and you receive it.  That is the complete
amateur band RF path.

For argument sake, let's pretend that I make my Dallas station a remotely
controlled station. Also pretend that I'm sitting in a hotel room in San
Francisco remotely controlling my station in Dallas.

What happens in this case?

The RF path begins at the back of my radio (in Dallas), goes to my
antenna(in Dallas), through the ionosphere to Ireland and you receive it.

That is precisely the same RF path. There is no RF difference whatsoever.

Please tell me how I am wrong.

I am operating the station in Dallas. Whether I am physically in front of
the radio in Dallas makes no RF difference.

(While typing this, I have just thought of an alternative perspective).

OR: Are you thinking that I would be claiming to be in San Francisco and
giving out Zone 3 and not Zone 4, or likewise that I would claim to be
operating from California instead of Texas?

The station location (Texas in this case) defines where the station is. It
makes no difference if I'm remotely controlling my Texas station from
California or from New York City - I'm a Texas station from the RF
perspective and as far as the contest is concerned. This complies with the
rules 100%. No one should be claiming they're operating a contest from
where the remote operator is sitting - it's the location of the actual RF
station.

This last paragraph is the only possible logical explanation of why you
continue to insist that the Internet changes the RF path when it does not.

73,

Bob W5OV