[CQ-Contest] Running the pile

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Running the pile
From: Scott Robbins <w4pa@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2012 06:48:34 -0800 (PST)
>Just returned from West Africa Toivo.Your approach works there as well. The
>only difference was, I had to ID every 6 or 7 QSO when pileup was really
>heavy.There are other methods of pileup management such as turning output
>power down, increase CW speed and split as the last resort. But most
>important the operator should be able to sustain rate of 200 +  QSO per
>hour. If DX op is slow it irritates everybody and attracts CL? much too
>often.

>73, Igor UA9CDC

Also on pileup management - turn the IF SHIFT or PBT control on your rig on top
of the pile way off to the side of the BW filter.  Once you have an effective
filter BW of something close to zero you'll hear one or two stations at a time
even if the pileup is at blizzard level and don't have to resort to the RIT.
I've employed this many times, including last weekend's CQ WW CW @PJ4D.

73
Scott Robbins
W4PA