Re: [CQ-Contest] We need to recruit this guy into Contesting!

To: Georgek5kg@aol.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] We need to recruit this guy into Contesting!
From: Jack/W6NF <vhfplus@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 09:59:09 -0700
On 3/12/2012 9:16 AM, Georgek5kg@aol.com wrote:
> This guy thinks that the Northern Lights in North Dakota are going to
> improve his long-distance communications!  Just wait till he finds out
> what the Northern Lights really do.
> Novertheless, his purchase of a home in Edgeley, ND for $10k on eBay
> is pretty cool.
> Yes, we do need to prod him into contesting!
> 73, George, K5KG
> ex. KL7IDH who knows what Northern Lights are like.
> George Wagner, K5KG
> Sarasota, FL
> 941-400-1960 cell
> In a message dated 3/12/2012 9:18:29 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
> vhfplus@gmail.com writes:
>
>     On 3/11/2012 7:28 PM, Radio K0HB wrote:
>     > For Sweepstakes
>     >
>     >

> http://www.twincities.com/localnews/ci_20151277/booming-north-dakotas-ham-radio-space-also-draw
>     >
>     >
>     > *73, de Hans, K0HB*
>     > *"Just a boy and his radio"*
>     > --
>     > Sea stories at -------->  http://k0hb.wordpress.com
>     > Superstition trails --->  http://oldslowhans.wordpress.com
>     > CQ-Contest mailing list
>     > CQ-Contest@contesting.com
>     >
>     Stiles is right...it *is* a nice place to raise a family and even
>     better
>     for contesting. Yeah,the winters can be brutal but I regret having
>     moved
>     from there in the mid-1980's, after 8 years in Bismarck. It was fun
>     running into the Governor of the state window shopping
>     downtown...there
>     aren't many places where that happens!
>
>     Our son (K7DAE) is now a permanent resident of Canada, in
>     Winnipeg, so
>     we may have to move back to be closer to his home. :>)
>
>     --
>     Jack, W6NF
>     ex W0RIB and KC0W (the first one), Bismarck
>     Silver Springs, NV
>     DM09ji

What's *really* interesting is when you are working an intense AU on
2-meters and 220MHz and the signals go away completely. That happened to
me one night...I went outside and the auroral curtain was *south* of my
Bismarck location. Went back in and worked a bunch of VE's off the backside.

Of course, these things rarely happen when you want them...during a VHF
contest!

--
Jack, W6NF
Silver Springs, NV