Re: [CQ-Contest] Cheating - Big Amps

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Cheating - Big Amps
From: "Marijan Miletic, S56A" <s56a@bit.si>
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2011 13:31:11 +0200
E73M wrote: Everybody with some amplifier building knowledge is familiar
what happens when you run amplifier at 1500w designed with output filter for
5+ kW.

Not much, really, you just have to increase LOAD capacitor in order to get
higher plate impedance!  Much worse problem is reducing solid state radio
drive.from standard 100 W.  These junction transistor amplifiers are capable
of 200 W and generate lowest IMD on half the power.  MOSFET A class is the
exception.

K0RC wrote: I have a 1500 Watt microwave oven that cooks my food. It's
nothing special.

Oh yes, it is!  I use HV transformer from these ovens, add string of cheap
1N4007 diodes and computer grade 300V elkos for 3 kV PSU.  PC Tower case and
cheap Russian GS31B triode, few PC vents and run happily legal "green" power
slightly reduced for RTTY.

I am also not happy with a strong ES5TV signal here but I understand the
propagations.  S53MM is killing me more often from shorter distance.

Tonno justified his skills at Moscow WRTC-2010.  N5TJ & K1TO several times
before that under live observations and low power.

Statistics show drop of EU participation in CQ WW SSB.  I guess lot of
people run away from terrible splatters caused by 1,5 kW ++.

73 de Mario, S56A, N1YU

P.S.  Danny, you can always temporary import "big box" from S5 :-)  Or
borrow from "professionals"...