Re: [CQ-Contest] Club/Group competition 275 km radius in CQ

To: CQ-Contest Reflector <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Club/Group competition 275 km radius in CQ
From: Jack Brindle <jackbrindle@me.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2011 15:01:44 -0700
Wow. I'm almost salivating at this one. Consider the effect of a
combined NCCC and SCCC in the world of contesting, along with the
reduction of PVRC, SMC and YCCC to state-only clubs. I don't believe
anyone could compete with us (they almost can't now).

The circle is meant to allow parity between the east coast clubs,
where the states are much smaller, and us west coast guys. If the
limit were to be on state boundaries, certainly there would basically
be no competition. This would have more affect on balancing
international contests where the east coasters have the advantage of
being a direct shot into country-rich EU. But with so many stations in
California, we would still no doubt put up a very good fight,
especially if the competitors are the smaller individual east-coast
states.

Competitions that allow our members to participate from anywhere allow
us to compete in todays contests very well. It is a lot of fun to have
our members super-high Caribbean scores light up the club competition
in a contest. Perhaps there is merit to allowing folks participate
from anywhere. Of course it could also lead to elitist clubs made up
of only the best contesters. Rules that would discourage "elite-only"
clubs would need to be considered to enhance both competition and the
growth of local clubs. I strongly believe that we are seeing excellent
growth in the contest community because of the existence of the
contest clubs. The emergence of new state-wide (in many cases) contest
clubs has been a very good thing in our hobby, and has done a lot to
contribute to our overall growth. Growth means new contesters, whom
our top contesters need to mentor to give them new competition!

I _would_ like to see the circle open up a bit, though. There are
parts of the state of California that are within the NCCC area where
members are not allowed to contribute to club scores. This is very
similar to the Arizona situation. It is a shame that these folks
cannot contribute to our score. In many cases they live literally a
few hundred feet outside the club circle. Like our friends in AZ, I
would really like to see them brought into our competition. It not
only enhances the score, but camaraderie within the club as these
contesters feel like they really are first-class members.

73!

Jack Brindle, W6FB
President, Northern California Contest Club