Re: [CQ-Contest] SS CW question

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SS CW question
From: Joe <nss@mwt.net>
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2010 08:27:15 -0600
On 11/9/2010 3:47 AM, Nate Bargmann wrote:
> * On 2010 08 Nov 20:24 -0600, Geoffrey Way wrote:
>> N1MM allows the use of control characters to adjust speed on the fly
>> within the macro:
>>
>> <  = faster by 2wpm
>>   >  = slower by 2wpm
>>
>> thus,
>>
>> <<<<KA1IOR>>>>
>>
>> in the middle of the macro jumps the speed up by 8wpm.
>> No more problem. Call gets sent, but far less time in *redundant*
>> info in the exchange. I send the call because I can just speed up on it.
> For the proficient CW ops amongst us bumping up the speed of your
> callsign may not be an issue.  For someone like myself, that bump of 8
> WPM when you're already at my brain processing limit of about 25 WPM
> just throws me for a loop and your "time saver" will likely result in me
> asking for a repeat of your check and section.  Not much of a time saver
> for either of us.

For me it's a similar situation,  Not that I can not copy it,  if the
whole exchange is sent at 40 wpm,  i'm Ok,  but my brain has a rhythm thing,
Maybe it's part of the processor between my ears filtering to
concentrate to the one signal I'm trying to copy and ignore the rest.
Probably from operating in CW contests for 30 years with a Drake TR-4 no
CW filter, and now with a Kenwood TS-430S  but still NO CW FILTER,  so
i'm hearing like on 20 meters this weekend in the passband was usually
at least 3 or 4 stations audible.

But I can copy the one station in my head just fine until he changes
speed.  faster or slower and my brain shuts him down as being a
different station because he's sending at a different speed than the
exchange I'm trying to copy.  so in my situation  fast is fine, as well
as is slow.  but a mixture, and i'll be asking for a repeat.

Joe WB9SBD