Re: [CQ-Contest] A new "DX cluster" experience for contesters

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] A new "DX cluster" experience for contesters
From: Doug Renwick <ve5ra@sasktel.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 14:06:44 -0600
"Where does that line get crossed?" asks Kelly Taylor.

The song from the sixties, In the Year 2525, opens with the words "In
the year 2525, If man is still alive, If woman can survive, They may
find...".

"The song describes a nightmarish vision of the future as man's
technological inventions gradually dehumanize him.  The song also
references examples of technologies that were not fully developed but
were known to the public in 1969, such as robots, as well as future
technology that would come into existence ..."

"In the year 5555
Your arms are hanging limp at your sides
Your legs got not nothing to do
Some machine is doing that for you"

Certain technological improvements have made contesting pleasurable.
Like computer logging and crosschecking, keyers and voice machines, and
so on.  When I look into the future I see the introduction of advanced
technological innovations initially catching the interest and
incorporation.  But as the advanced technology overtakes the importance
of the human operator, the whole game of contesting changes.  And it
eventually leads to the end of contesting as we know it today.  It
implodes.  Much like the lemmings that became notoriously famous when
they commit mass suicide by throwing themselves off a cliff.  Turns out
to be a myth but it introduced the expression "lead astray like lemmings
to the sea".  Eventually it will self destruct.

In the year 2025
You won't need no radio
You won't need no amplifier
You won't need no antennas
Some machine is doing that for you

As certain as the sun will rise tomorrow, technology will advance; it
can't be stopped.  There are those who wish to hold on, and opposite,
those who wish technology would advance.

Listen to the lyrics "In the year 2525".  There is more truth than
fiction.  Welcome to the 'age of the robot'.

Doug

The water jump is long and the barrier may be high,
you might break every bone, but it's so much fun to fly!