Re: [CQ-Contest] Is it time to reevaluate CQWW Scoring Rules?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Is it time to reevaluate CQWW Scoring Rules?
From: k3bu@optimum.net
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 04:14:27 +0000 (GMT)
Fellow contesters,

The big dilemma with CQ WW is that it grew to become the biggest and most
prestigious contest, while having discriminatory scoring system, which is fine
for those (leave it alone) jus' having fun contesting. For those who take it
very seriously as a world competition and invest time, money and best of their
skills trying to quantify the results of their efforts, they find that they
can't make it to top ten, because they are not in Af, SA. Biggest, baddest US
station is lucky to make it to top ten in ten years.

Clearly point per QSO system is outdated, making everyone worth 2 points, or at
least allow 1 point for own country would go long way to rectify the inequity.
WPX did it and it made it better contest. Not to worry about WW turning into
SS, usually second day stations make half the QSOs , so there is the room for
more QSO from own country and boost for low band activity.
I have been told to shut up already, but it is obvious that those that take the
contesting very seriously, get disenchanted by the punishing scoring system, as
the current discussion reflects.

Back in 2000 when I brought up the possibility of updating or making CQ WW
rules more fair, I was told "if you are so smart, come up with better rules or
your own contest".
I tried and fine tuned the rules with other contributors for

http://www.TeslaRadio.org/Tesla_cup.htm

In order for contest to succeed, I was looking for "godfather" and approached
YCCC, FRC, CQ, ARRL, Czechs, Slovenians to cosponsor, but mainly to publicize
and give it more weight. Naaaah! We were willing to do the processing the logs,
just looking for co-sponsorship from the mighty ones. Unfortunately till this
day and due to my QRL from every day's life, the fitting tribute to inventor of
Radio - Nikola Tesla is still on the drawing board, with I believe has the fair
rules, more equalizing than any other contest out there.

So here it is, contest with more suitable scoring system looking for home,
co-sponsor, sponsor. Any helpers, takers?

Yuri, K3BU.us
www.MVmanor.com