Re: [CQ-Contest] CQWW contest analysis database

To: David Kopacz <david.kopacz@aspwebhosting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQWW contest analysis database
From: Idle-Tyme <nss@mwt.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2009 18:16:05 -0600
David Kopacz wrote:
> First, I want to say that I like CQWW. It is my favorite contest.
I agree!
> I like the scoring of a distance based contest.
Me Too
> Perhaps, a new contest, with some of the CQWW flare, but based on
> distance scoring,  That could easily change with a new world wide
> contest based on distance, a contest that anyone could win!
>
> The question now becomes, how do we implement such a scoring system? For
> example, would it be possible to use a database of grid squares to
> calculate the distance between each station in the contest?
Grid Squares I like as seen later below.
>  There has been much talk about eliminating the signal report
> from the exchange. In a distance based worldwide contest, the exchange
> could be something like
>

>                     GRID     QSO #
> ----------------------------
> K1LZ de 6Y1V FK08XK 1024
> 6Y1V de K1LZ FN42HG 583

In a DX test I don't think we need to go that deep into the grid info
myself,,, again explained below.
> The value of the contact would be the distance between grid square while
> the multipliers for countries and/or zones could still be used. In fact,
> you could even use a portion of the grid square as a multiplier.

This I still do not like.  Countries as mults?  This again places a LOT
of mult power into European hands,  Unless they make all 50 US states
equal a country?

> David ~ KY1V

To make a in my first thought a true DX test would be something like this.

I made this map below to explain my thoughts.  In my case I am in grid
square EN

The mults are the grid squares.

Remember I am in "EN"

The exchange is signal report and square, IE: 59EN  for me to send out.

Scoring  The yellow area counts as Mults ONLY
The Red area counts as Mults per square and 1 point per QSO
Everywhere else counts as Mult per square and  2 points per QSO.

Thoughts?

Joe WB9SBD