[CQ-Contest] re Is it time to reevaluate CQWW Scoring Rules?

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] re Is it time to reevaluate CQWW Scoring Rules?
From: "Jeff Clarke" <ku8e@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2009 22:10:37 -0500
This subject seems to resurface every year around this time. I don't believe
you can make the scoring fair for everyone because every location has its
own advantages and disadvantages. While those in zone 9 and North Africa
have some advantage, it is a sweet victory if you can beat someone operating
in one of those locations. The members of the CQWW committee are some of the
best and most respected contesters in the world and I'm sure they know what
they are doing when it comes to the rules.

  I think that CQ is doing the best they can with the scoring system they
use, which I think has been around since the beginning of the CQWW DX
contests. I wouldn't rush to change the rules until you were sure you were
100% right with it. I too once thought the scoring was unfair but after
operating from zone 9 for the last several years I am grateful for those 3
point QSO's on 80 and 160 meters which seem to be a chip shot for those
north of us in the Caribbean.

I can feel David's (KY1V) pain but if he truly wanted to be competitive in
CQWW he should have built his station in zone 9. He will probably forget all
about this when he is enjoying the advantage he will have from Jamaica in
the ARRL DX contests. Sometimes you can't have the best of both worlds....

Jeff  KU8E (past operator at PJ2T and PJ4A)