[CQ-Contest] Cut numbers did the job

To: CQ-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Cut numbers did the job
From: Art Boyars <artboyars@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 23:07:22 -0500
I agree that cut numbers are a bad idea in SS.  But when I worked my
QSO NR 599, the other guy asked "NR?"   I knew I was loud enough, and
I could tell that he just got confused into thinking I was a lid
sending an RST. So I sent "NR 5NN".  QSL!  :>)

Another semi-related incident....  I came across a pretty well-known,
sharp, fast, loud guy who was starting late on Sunday (aka "fresh
meat").  I dumped in my call, and he came blazing back: "K3KU 3 U
W**** 79 xx"  Well I got so confused by hearing my call "twice"
('K3KU' and '3 U') that I had to ask for a repeat.  Same thing;
another repeat.  Third time, he QRSed enough that I could figure it
out.  OK, maybe I was not sharp enough, but I've said before that when
your number is way low like that, it helps to send "NR" to get the
receiving op sync'ed in.

73, Art K3KU