Re: [CQ-Contest] The contest is over

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] The contest is over
From: DR <kg0us@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2008 13:53:54 -0800 (PST)

I have had some concerns for quite some time that I would like to write about
since we are talking the ethics of getting outside help and correcting logs
after the contest period is completed.  I have always wondered why does Randy
and others take the extra time to record the entire contest while participating
in a contest?  I am not accusing him or anyone else of cheating and I am sure
that there is a legitimate reason for this, but to me it would be too tempting
to use the recording to correct any errors made in the contest log once the
contest is over.  Also, it could be a huge stress relief knowing  that
everything is being recorded when operating hot and heavy in a SO2R mode and
one is not completely sure if they got that last second radio contact
completely correct when someone is trying to steal your run frequency on the
other radio.
What about the use of Super Partial Call Check?  Each year we are asked to send
in our log so that a new Super Partial Call Check database can be created.
Couldnʼt the use of Super Partial Check be considered getting outside help to
improve log accuracy when we use such a database to fill in missing callsign
letters?  The help would come from the use of outside information that was
obtained from operators who previously participated in contests and then
submitted a log for Super Partial Check database updates.
Lastly, logging programs such as Writelog not only have the ability to record
entire contest but the program also has a feature that allows the operator to
load in an exchange from an ADI file.  For example, if someone had access to
several past sweepstakes contest logs; they could run some macros to focus in
on past callsigns, precedence, check, and section information while eliminating
outliers.  The resulting data can then be place in an ADI file that can be
loaded before the beginning of the contest.  Once an operator enters a persons
callsign listed in the ADI file, that persons previous yearʼs precedence,
check, and section will automatically fill.  Of course you have to be aware
that people sometimes change power and other information from year to year.
This is also why the program feature allows the operator to filter what part of
the fill they want to be displayed.  I am guessing that most operatorsʼ fills
will be the same from year
 to year.  I am sure that some of the big boys know about this feature, it did
not just get incorporated into Writelog by accident.  The question is, just as
with the Super Partial Check database, is this not getting outside help for
improving your log accuracy before the contest even begins?
I agree that we probably should not exchange callsign correction on the
reflector after the completion of the contest.  However, to me the exchange of
a dozen callsign corrections seems petty to the enormous information available
above for correcting and improving ones log accuracy before log submittal.
Is the rule such that if everyone has the above tools available to them,
whether or not everyone is aware of the tools, then it is ethical to use them
to improve your accuracy before, during, and potentially after the contest is
over?
73,
Dave KG0US