Re: [CQ-Contest] Stirring the Pot

To: "'K1AR@aol.com'" <K1AR@aol.com>, "cq-contest@contesting.com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Stirring the Pot
From: "Kerr, Prof. K.M." <k.kerr@abdn.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 17:58:10 +0100
Hello all,
I'll rise to the bait!
Been trying to get antennas organised for the weekend as time allows. Spent all
last Saturday trying to find out why my trusty but not rusty C3 had poor SWR on
all bands. I use this as a temporary 'second direction' antenna and for the
last three years it has never shown any problem each time it was put up. It is
stored 'outside' assembled and I noticed a few loose rivets and assumed this
was the problem. Lots or drilling and rivetting later.....no change. Eventually
the problem was traced to a faulty coax line from the shack to the remote relay
switch box! Frustrating...........lessons learned.

But now, apart from my beverages which still have to be strung once the
neighbouring farmer is finished with the field, I seem to be ready. This is
worrying since the last time I was in this position, in 2006, the main tower
fell down in a storm 48hrs before the off. No storms forecast this year but we
are certainly looking at very strong winds from now and over the weekend.

Propagation......I am trying to psyche myself up to believing that it might be
a shade better this year but that could be a marginal call....rather depends on
how much SpE we get up here on 10 and 15. Otherwise it could be a re-run
Eurofest on the highbands!!!

Tactics.......I am still unsure what the best thing to do on 40 and 80 when
trying to work the USA; simplex, duplex? Below 7.1 or above 7.125 for transmit?
How do you guys see this from the 'other side'?

SOAB in Europe is always a tough challenge and getting harder; but I keep
trying. I am looking forward to my 90 min sleep in Sunday morning already!

GM7V will be on from 00z Saturday, God willing, Single Op, All band, internet
and cluster-free shack!! Goes without saying that I hope to work as many of you
all as possible.
Good luck to everyone and enjoy......and please, please give your callsign
frequently if you are running and 'in full' when you S&P.

Keith GM4YXI (GM7V)