Re: [CQ-Contest] SO2R Technical Question - Round III - Antennas

To: "Lee Buller" <k0wa@swbell.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SO2R Technical Question - Round III - Antennas
From: "Alfred Frugoli" <ke1fo@arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 22:22:51 -0500
Lee,

I've got a .46 acre lot that is trapezoidal in shape, with the back yard
being smaller than the front.  I have a 30 foot tower with a C3S, a 40/20
parallel dipole at 25 feet and an HF2V, all in the back yard, and mostly out
of sight from the street. The three antennas are basically in a line that
goes ne/sw with the HF2V on the southwestwest end, the dipole in the middle
(runs N/S) and the tower on the northeast end.  You can imagine when things
are worse/better based on where things would be pointed depending on th
econtest/time of day etc.

While I'm no big gun, I definitely can work SO2R with this antenna setup.  I
have two ICE Model 419A filters that frankly, I have not used this year.
15/40 is impossible without the filters, and running high power I need
something more than the filters (some stubs would make things better, but
have not gone there yet).  Otherwise, things seem to work pretty well.  My
main SO2R band combination at this point seems to be 20/40.  This may be
because I can't keep a 20M run going with my dipole, and I can't work
anything (at this point in the solar cycle) on 15 without the C3S.

Good Luck.

73 de Al, KE1FO