Re: [CQ-Contest] CW keying interface (reed relays)

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CW keying interface (reed relays)
From: "Art Boyars" <art.boyars@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 16:57:59 -0400
K8CC mentions: "I think I remember N6TR saying that he is now using reed relays
..."

I think I disdained reed relays back in the 1970's when I saw that they were
rated (as I recall) on the order 1-mega-operations mean before failure, and I
calculated that a single 48 hour DX contest gave roughly one mega-operation of
the relay.  Maybe I was also concerned about the pull-in and drop-out times for
QRQ (perhaps a prophetic vision of computer-generated E-E-N-A-4 at 60 WPM).
But I could be wrong, and maybe the relays are better now, and I would surely
yield to the superior knowledge, wisdom, and skills of Tree and Dave.

But it really is neat that the well-known two-transistor "negative keying
interface" would actually work for positive, too ... and nobody seems to have
discovered it by accident.

73, Art K3KU
(If K3KU is poking his head out, then SS CW must be getting close.)