[CQ-Contest] Natural born contesters

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Natural born contesters
From: "Denis K7GK" <k7gk@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2007 09:27:04 -0700
While the sunspots are still low and even the activity on this reflector seems down, I thought share some info, which I found interesting and somewhat related to contesting.

As I was reading a magazine (along with NCJ, QST and CQ sometimes I have time for the Economist) I found an interesting article about sleep deprivation. The subtitle was - "How well you can think at night may be determined by your genes". If that's true, can there be a contesting gene, or at least a gene that determines if you can be effective during the second night of the 48-hour contest?

Here's a part of the article that I thought was most to the point:

"One of the genes involved in regulating [person's circadian] clock is known as PER3 and comes in two forms... The two forms of PER3 translate into two slightly different proteins, one of which is longer than the other... People with two short versions of the gene (one from each parent) are more likely to be ?owls?, preferring to get up late and go to bed late. ?Larks??in other words, early risers, have two long versions.
Pursuing this line of enquiry, Dr Dijk and his team [at the University of Surrey] have been studying how such people respond to sleep deprivation. Two dozen volunteers, some genetic owls and some genetic larks, were forced to stay awake for two days (note the 48-hour contest connection - K7GK).
The genetic larks reacted to this worse than the owls did. In particular, larks given memory tests and puzzles to solve between the hours of four and eight in the morning turned in far worse performances than did owls."

Could this be true? It would be very interesting to know if the majority of the contesters, especially those turning in 48-hour logs, are mostly owls.

I also wonder if the next big controversy after SO2R and remote contesting will be a genetically engineered contester? Just a thought. :)

73, Denis - K7GK

Mortgage rates near historic lows. Refinance $200,000 loan for as low as $771/month* https://www2.nextag.com/goto.jsp?product=100000035&url=%2fst.jsp&tm=y&search=mortgage_text_links_88_h27f8&disc=y&vers=689&s=4056&p=5117