Re: [CQ-Contest] Optical and galvanic isolation

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Optical and galvanic isolation
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 14:53:06 -0800
K1XM writes:

> I'm building a keyer and headphone switch box for my small contest
> station.  I have a few questions:
>
> Some keyers use optoisolators for the key and PTT lines and others
> just transistors or FETs such as the 2N7000.  Has anyone had an
> experience where the optoisolator actually helped or saved equipment?
>
> Some headphone switches use transformers for galvanic isolation.  Has
> this solved problems for anyone?  And can anyone recommend a source
> for a good transformer for this purpose?
>
> I understand that isolation and transformers "good things".  But if I
> put all good things in this box it might not fit in my small contest
> station.

I have seen some problem associated with ground loops go away when
properly using transformers for isolation.  I think this is most
important on transmit audio than on the headphone side - but if you
are connecting up different radios to one set of headphones (and thus
sharing a ground) - you might have some RFI with the ground loop.

I am a big believer in dry contacts for PTT and CW.  This eliminates
all sorts of possible issues (grid block keying, strange PTT voltages).
I like to have two sets of PTT contacts so that I can use one to drive
the amp directly (some radios have whimpy relays for that and some amps
have pretty high voltage on their relays).  I have been sending CW with
a radio shack reed relay now for 10 some years - and it is holding up
just fine.

Tree N6TR
tree@kkn.net