Re: [CQ-Contest] Random acts of kindness, Unassisted Categories,Rules, e

To: "'George Fremin III'" <geoiii@kkn.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Random acts of kindness, Unassisted Categories,Rules, etc.
From: "J. Edward (Ed) Muns" <w0yk@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 10:48:13 -0800
> Consider this:
>
> I (K5TR) am in the SS.
>
> I still need West Texas and KP4 for a sweep.
>
> I am call CQ and running guys.
>
> Someone calls in and we exchange information.
>
> I ask him, "Do you know where West Texas and/or KP4 are?".
>
> He either does not or does not answer.
>
> I keep running guys.
>
> A few contacts later I work someone else.
>
> I ask him, "Do you know where West Texas and/or KP4 are?".
>
> Still no information.
>
> I keep running guys.
>
> Someone comes by and tells me that NP4A is on 21.354.
>
> I dial my second radio to 21.354 and work NP4A.
>
> --------------------------------
>

> Can I still enter as a single op unassisted station?
>
> Yes or No
>
> I would like to see a show of hands on this question.

My hand goes up for 'Yes', you can still enter as single op unassisted.

But, this example is on the margin, which is why you are asking about it,
and I would be happy with either 'Yes' or 'No'.  I group this example close
to ... I'm tuning around and hear someone call NP4A (but don't initially
hear NP4A directly myself) and am therefore "assisted" in locating a new
mult.  I'm OK saying both cases are still SO unassisted per the intent of
the contest rules, even though someone's personal judgment may be offended.

If we're not careful with our logic, we could end up ruling out the
Single-Op category entirely because every station we work "assists" us in
making the contact.  Radiosport is, after all, the only sport where
competitors have to cooperate with (assist) each other to make points.  What
I'm most thankful about after a contest is all the stations who show up and
QSO with me for points in my log, and theirs.

73
Ed - W0YK