[CQ-Contest] Little old ladies changing tires

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Little old ladies changing tires
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 12:14:52 -0800
K4BEV writes:

> A little old lady has a flat tire...
> She changes the tire herself = Unassisted
> She calls AAA and they come out and change the tire = Assisted
> A Good Samaritan stops and changes the tire for her = Unassisted?
>
> Using the above logic she must have been unassisted since she didn't ask  for
> help, even though she accepted it.
> Using *real world logic*, if you accept assistance you are no longer
> unassisted.

It's this kind of common sense logic that often extinguishes some of the
more silly threads on CQ-CONTEST.

Of course, you could talk about the tow truck driver who didn't see the
old lady - and someone slows down and rolls down the window saying:
"There is an old lady back a mile who needs a tire changed".

If the information is acted on - the guy doesn't get to claim he found
her by himself.

So - that's the key.  Did you QSY and work the station based on that
information?

This is why even positioning yourself to get the information by telling
the world you are looking for VO1 isn't a good idea.  Once someone tells
you about a station - it makes it hard to go work them even if you do find
them on your own.

Just work the contest - maybe you will miss a mult.  I did in the SSCW.
Life goes on.

Tree N6TR
"Crabby 40 meter HC8N Operator" (hence to be reduced to C4MHO).

PS: What about sending VV for "33" - anyone have a problem with that?