Re: [CQ-Contest] SS CW precedence data

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SS CW precedence data
From: sawyered@earthlink.net
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 07:46:00 -0500 (GMT-05:00)
Thanks for this post.  Interesting data.  I would have to disagree with your
observation though.

It looks like A has gone down roughly 100 people and that around half are now
low power and half are assisted.  Whether the people actually changed or some
dropped out and others appeared, who knows?

What is more interesting to me is that the percentage of U is only 17% from 10%
4 - 5 years ago.  The technology is known and developed yet attracts less than
20% of the contest community.  I would guess that this is pretty similar for
ARRL DX and CQ WW and WPX too (someone who knows please chime in) based on
reading the results non-statistically.

There is a HUGELY disproportionate amount of chatter and bandwidth devoted to
this subject by an extreme minority of the community representing less than 20%
of active contesters.  And many in this minority are constantly trying to make
the rest of the community just like them for some reason even though 80% of the
community has spoken and isn't interested (sounds a lot like politics doesn't
it).

If you have "chosen" assisted, good for you.  I am glad that you are active
contesting and enjoying your category.  Improve yourself and your scores and
really come to know the pleasure of the game.  I have chosen not to be
assisted, and I am not alone.  Please leave what I enjoy as undisturbed as what
you enjoy.  Thank you.

Ed  N1UR