Re: [CQ-Contest] CT vs. N1MM

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CT vs. N1MM
From: "Robert Naumann" <w5ov@w5ov.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 07:02:03 -0500
I find myself in an awkward position of agreeing in principle with Mal.

Sometimes, the programmers are pulled away from the fundamentals by demands
of some of the more inventive and creative users. Often, it seems as though
they are just being lazy asking for more complexity and features. Some of
these "improvements" cause the program to go off and do things that I don't
want being done automatically and it drives me crazy!

One of the key benefits of the N1MM platform is that it is fully
configurable. It can work just like CT did in the old days...

Callsign <spacebar> Enter

Same thing!

The ESM (Enter Sends Messages) thing, which has roots in how TR worked takes
some getting used to if you come from a CT or NA background. But, once you
get used to it, it is great. Basically, when we used to press the Ins
(Insert) and + (plus) keys on the numeric keypad while running in CT - with
ESM, you only press the Enter key to perform those functions. For laptop
users, this is a fantastic solution. Even this powerful ESM feature has been
modified and finely tuned into a very flexible and useful tool for even us
old CT users.

While you can use N1MM to conduct your own "Magnum Opus" contest logging
operation, it does the essentials very well too.

N1MM, N2AMG and the rest of the development team have done a great job.

73,
Bob W5OV