Re: [CQ-Contest] cqww rtty (and tqp) spotting report

To: Keith Dutson <kdutson@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] cqww rtty (and tqp) spotting report
From: "Kenneth E. Harker" <kenharker@kenharker.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 15:39:09 -0700
On Mon, Oct 02, 2006 at 04:44:36PM -0500, Keith Dutson wrote:
> I am not one of the TxQP officials but have direct contact with the
> leadership.
>
> Setting a rule to outlaw self-spotting will surely result in an extra burden
> for the log checker(s).

I don't understand how that could be at all.  The vast majority of TQP
participants did not self-spot, and those that did seemed to use a different
SSID on the cluster system than the call they were using on the air.  TQP
is the only operating event I know of in North America that seems to
tolerate self-spotting.  Even the "non-contest" Field Day doesn't allow
self-spotting!

I think self-spotting on the cluster network, emailing people during the
contest to ask for a contact, or any other means of calling CQ on the
Internet should be considered cheating and explicitly prohibited from all
radio contests.  So far, all the major contest sponsors like the ARRL, CQ,
JARL, RSGB, etc. have held firm to this basic conviction, that radio
contesting should be about making contacts on the radio and not making
contacts via the Internet.  It's a shame that the TQP doesn't want to
hold itself to the same standard.

Kenneth E. Harker WM5R
kenharker@kenharker.com
http://www.kenharker.com/