Re: [CQ-Contest] Contesting in the Sunlight [was: SO1R and SO2R]

To: 'CQ-Contest MailList' <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Contesting in the Sunlight [was: SO1R and SO2R]
From: Radiosporting Fan <radiosporting@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 15:28:22 -0700 (PDT)
> The real "differences" already have real categories
> (ie power, geographic region, # of ops....).  The
> rest are called "excuses" (ie SO2R, time in
> chair, band limitations, tower only XX feet..).
> Very easy to tell the difference.

Sort of, Blake.  But don't forget that High Power is
quite a broad range (see ARRL Rules for HF
contests)...

"2.1.3.3.High Power: More than 150-W PEP output (see
rule 1.3)."

A station running 150-w is 10-dB less powerful than
one running 1500-w.  That's quite a difference.  Are
stations at opposite ends of this range *really*
contesting peers?  The Rules say they are, but does
physics agree?

I'm suggesting that physics "doesn't agree" and that
by revealing actual RF output in results, one can more
easily determine who their competitor actually is.

I'm curious to know just how SO2R is done, to help me
to better understand how much of an impact it could
have on a S/O's score (once they build skill to take
advantage of it, of course).

Regards,
Ev, W2EV

PS...During VHF contests, those that use RFSport's
logger get both a realtime scoreboard, as well as
color-coded ERP indications from other participating
stations.  I can even limit my "competition dashboard"
to show only stations who are +/-5-dB of my ERP.  It
makes for a very interesting realtime competition.
See http://www.RFSport.com for more info (and logger
screenshots).