Re: [CQ-Contest] KC7V's SECOND lesson

To: W0UN <shr@swtexas.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] KC7V's SECOND lesson
From: David Gilbert <rimradio@direcway.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 08:43:13 -0700
Excellent comments, John.  Before I retired I was doing a LOT of
traveling to Asia, and 12 hours in the air over the Pacific was not
uncommon.  For the first couple of years I would often get really
painful blood clots in my legs.  They were always in the shallow veins
that the doctors said were less threatening (those in the deep veins can
more easily travel to the lungs), but they'd create flaming red paths up
my leg and the veins would be literally as hard as steel rod.  The
merest touch was very painful but they'd typically dissipate on their
own in two to three weeks.  I was in really good physical shape back
then, by the way ... I exercised a lot both at home and in the hotels.

I eventually learned ways to avoid the clots, some from the doctors and
some from personal experience.

1.  As others have said, drink lots of fluids.  Plane trips dehydrate
you, exercise dehydrates you, and it's easy to forget to drink fluids
while operating a contest.  Thick blood can be a killer.  As a side
note, you get sleepier with lack of fluids as well.

2.  I always take an aspirin a day, even now that I'm retired since my
right leg has a mild tendency toward phlebitis anyway (a couple of weak
valves, apparently).  I think it would be excellent practice for anyone
to do the same thing a couple of days prior to a long contest in the
chair, unless of course you have a medical condition that precludes it.

3.  Here's a biggie, at least for me.  The blood vessels that get
constricted while sitting are in the backs (and insides) of your
thighs.  I found that it made a huge difference if I slid down in the
seat and let a lot of my weight rest on the back of my hips ... almost
on my lower back.  Airline seats usually recline enough to let you do
that (the seat belt ends up on your stomach, though), and my chair in
the ham shack was chosen to let me do the same thing.  It's a little
awkward at first, especially for CW, so I alternate between sitting
upright and slumping down.  For those that find the position unworkable,
at least try to elevate your feet enough to get your weight off the
backs of your thighs and on to the bony part of your butt.  I do that
while driving on long trips since slouching down would be very unsafe.
Stack a few books on the floor in front of your chair for your feet to
rest upon.

4.  Keep your legs moving.  I used to ask for aisle seats on airplanes
so I could occasionally walk around, but I'd also flex my legs or bounce
them around while "sitting" on my lower back in the seat.  In my
opinion, it's at least as important to keep your thighs moving as it is
the calves.  You sometimes get weird looks for that on an airplane, but
anybody who sees you operating a ham radio contest will have already
formed an opinion on you anyway.

I used to get clots in my legs a couple of times a year before I started
taking these measures but haven't had a single one for years now.

All the best to Mike for a quick recovery.

Dave  AB7E