Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL DX SSB: 40m operation

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL DX SSB: 40m operation
From: "Bob Naumann - W5OV" <W5OV@W5OV.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 08:21:33 -0600
Rag,

I think that the 40m CW guys need to recognize that there is a problem, and
for the time being, there is no solution that makes everyone happy.  The
other thing to consider is that this only happens a couple of times per
year.

What about the CW guys causing deliberate interference to the SSB
operations?  What about the CW ops switching to SSB where you say they
should not in order to harass the SSB operators?  You know it happens,
perhaps you do it yourself?

40m SSB is bad all around for USA stations.  We can't transmit SSB below
7150.  So, we have to transmit around the broadcast mess.  We have no way of
determining if our transmit frequency is clear in Europe.   Then, our
listening frequencies get taken by others who can transmit below 7150.

Until the broadcast stuff goes away and allocations in Europe for SSB move
up the band, I'm afraid that 40m CW operators will have to be satisfied with
not having SSB below 7040 for only 359 of the 365 days every year.  (Two
days each for ARRL, WPX, & CQWW).

I guess the question is, who is really being selfish?

73,

Bob W5OV