Re: [CQ-Contest] Comments from a relative newbie that need affirmation

To: Art Searle W2NRA <art@w2nra.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Comments from a relative newbie that need affirmation
From: Bill Coleman <aa4lr@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 22:37:28 -0500
On Jan 10, 2006, at 8:21 AM, Art Searle W2NRA wrote:

> CQing Stations [AFC On/NET Off]- If I'm CQing I want my TX parked
> in one
> place so I want NET Off and I also want AFC On to tune in those
> calling off
> frequency.  I did notice some CQing stations with NET On in the
> ARRL RTTY
> RU.

I'd wonder if you want AFC on at all when CQing. If more than one
caller calls you at the same time, what frequency will the program
tune to?

You also might have nearby QRM that might cause the AFC to drift away
from the CQ frequency.

Would it be better to use a narrow filter and adjust for off-
frequency callers by using RIT? I've also found that RTTY
demodulators produce pretty good copy even if you are many dozen of
Hz off frequency. This is what I've done in my limited RTTY experience.

Naturally, your error-rate will be lower if the frequency is dead-on.

             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901