Re: [CQ-Contest] 40M expansion?

To: Rick Tavan N6XI <rtavan@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] 40M expansion?
From: Zack Widup <w9sz@prairienet.org>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 08:02:04 -0600 (CST)
You know, when I started installing satellite dishes 20 years ago (was it
REALLY that long ago?!? Wow!) I had the thought that you could include the
entire shortwave spectrum as a sub-band in a satellite channel.  On the Ku
band, 30 MHz is only 0.2% of the frequency being used.  It would not be
difficult at all to add something like this and just have an output from
the satellire receiver for a shortwave receiver, much like the FM output
many satellite receivers have.

I guess the problem is how much demand would there be for it and would the
equipment manufacturers think it's worth it.  I myself would use it but
I've been listening to shortwave for 40 years.

Ku band antennas and equipment are cheap and I can't see a problem with a
good part of the world going to a system like this.  But some things are
slow to change ...

73, Zack W9SZ