[CQ-Contest] OTHR in your face

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] OTHR in your face
From: VR2BrettGraham <vr2bg@harts.org.hk>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 16:19:40 +0000
After several months of loosing 40m to the Hainan Woodpecker,
I'm awfully curious how it is possible for the ZC4s & visitors to
5B to submit the scores they do with Pluto II (RAF's over-the-
horizon radar from Akrotiri Sovereign Base Area)?

The other morning, the Hainan Woodpecker laid waste to
3550 to nearly 3800 kc - what is interesting about this is that
there are international treaties in force that suggest such
transmissions should not take place.

Although here in VR the 5B/ZC4 crowd has a significant
advantage due to being in Asia yet being within spitting
distance of EU - I held a CQ WW single band record for
a short time until zone 20/21 claimed it back - based on
local experience, any band used by OTHR is a lost
cause out here... so why is it, since the Pluto II system is
far from a secret, how do 5Bs/ZC4s score so well?

Please, Cypriot hams - enlighten us on how to work
with electromagnetic terrorists operating within your
country?  The techniques you have developed most
certainly would assist those of use who are hundreds
of km away from the terrorists in our neck of the woods.

73, VR2BrettGraham