Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest Support

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest Support
From: Chris Pedder <chris@g3vbl.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 14:04:22 +0000

whereas at 09:37 03/08/05, M0CLW wrote:

>OK, in which case - where can I find the results online? I am not a
>subscriber to CQ Magazine, I have no interest in becoming a
>subscriber (not to mention the fact that I cannot afford it) so
>where can I find the full results online?

so what you are really saying is not that you 'cannot afford it' but
that you choose to spend your money in a different manner. CQ
Magazine sponsors the contest, sets the rules (directly or
indirectly) and decides how the results will be published; what's
wrong with that?

I cannot speak for CQ Magazine but even though volunteers do a great
deal of unpaid, and often unappreciated, work to produce the results
the contests must, nevertheless, have a cost in terms of money or
resources. CQ Magazine is a commercial operation which, presumably,
hopes to turn a profit on its activities. They do not force you to
enter their contests and they do not compel you to subscribe BUT if
you want to see your call in print, subscribing is what you must do.

It is worth remembering that some contests are only open to
members/subscribers (some RSGB contests come to mind unless they have
changed) CQ Magazine has the right to run its contests as it chooses
though if the administration upsets too many people, they will vote
with their feet.

What it should not do is promise certificates/plaques and then fail
to deliver them in a timely fashion... but that's another matter.   :)

Chris G3VBL/8P9EM