Re: [CQ-Contest] Question re Interstation interference

To: <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Question re Interstation interference
From: "David Robbins K1TTT" <k1ttt@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 14:48:14 -0000
My 2 cents worth.. I use 3 different types of filters plus stubs here.  For
the single band stations I use the ICE single band filters between the radio
and amp, on the so2r station I use the model 419 switched filters.  On each
band I use the k2tr stubs after the amp.  And on the beverages I use the
w3lpl rx filters.

There is an interesting added advantage to the w3lpl filters for m/m
beverage use.  I have 6 directions of beverages that all come in to one
switchbox in the shack.  That box is a matrix that lets 40/80/160 each
select any 1 of the 6 directions independently.  When I first set it up
without bandpass filters there was interaction between the selections, i.e.
if 40m selected the same one as 160m it was ok as long as 40m was actually
listening to it(so the coax from the switch to the radio was terminated by
the rx), but if 40m switched it off (so the coax was open at the radio end)
it reduced the signal on 160m badly (because of the now open ended stub coax
that must have looked like a short circuit at the switch box).  The w3lpl
filters have a high input impedance outside of their passband, so by putting
those filters right at the switchbox it not only filters out the other
bands, but decouples the coax from the switchbox so there is no interaction
between bands.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net