Re: [CQ-Contest] QSO Penalties

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] QSO Penalties
From: K3BU@aol.com
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 22:38:54 EDT
In a message dated 5/16/2005 7:39:47 PM Eastern Daylight Time, geoiii@kkn.net
writes:

> The discussion was about calculating error RATE. Not 3 QSO penalty thing.

Did you read the thread?

http://lists.contesting.com/archives//html/CQ-Contest/2000-09/msg00035.html

It and several of the related ones that kicked the thread off were all
about the 'penalty thing'.  <<

No, it was a discussion about ERROR RATE within the 3 QSO penalty subject.

>>And while I am here talking about the 'penalty thing' again
I just noticed this nice post by N6AA on the reason for the
3 QSO penalty - not that several recnet posters have not
stated as much in the past few days.

http://lists.contesting.com/archives//html/CQ-Contest/2000-09/msg00023.html
<<

Yes, he said:

"The penalty is designed to hurt. It is supposed to hurt so much
that you can't stand it any more, and actually ask for a repeat
of the station's callsign, enough times so that you actually get it
right before you log it.
73, Dick, N6AA"

So, 'splain to me how am I responsible for not being in someone's log, when I
called him, he replied to me, we exchanged the reports, he said my call
right, I can swear we have valid QSO, but I am not in his log. Now I get hit
with 3
more QSO "penalty" because for whatever reason he did not log me (or did
creative fixing).
There is no incentive or penalty for the other station to worry about me, the
only way to "fix" this would be to record the whole contest, go over the UBNs
and if I find -N and have a recording of good QSO (I would appeal my UBN to
the supreme court), the other station should be penalized with 12 QSO penalty,
barred for life from contesting and castrated. THAT would be a lesson and
"hurt so much that you can't stand it anymore". Maybe there will be no more -Ns.

Looks like time to hook up the recording and have some evidence. Is that what
contesting is about? I think it is time to adapt and bring some sanity into
this "penalty" stuff.

73  Yuri, K3BU