Re: [CQ-Contest] CQWW UBNs

To: cq-contest@contesting.com, nmt@at-communication.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQWW UBNs
From: K3BU@aol.com
Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 13:33:32 EDT
In a message dated 5/15/2005 12:29:14 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
nmt@at-communication.com writes:
>>Hello Yuri,
Last year I was SOSB 20 m in CQ WW SSB and CW.
Alex EY8CQ was on 40 SOSB in CW.
I called him and he has you in the log as:
QSO:  7000 CW 2004-11-27 1236 EY8CQ         599     17 K3BU        599   5<<
No problem here, I have a valid QSO with EY8CQ:
QSO:  7040 CW 2004-11-27 1235 K3BU          599 5      EY8CQ         599 17

but...

Just out of curiosity,
I have EY8MM logged as:

QSO:  7040 CW 2004-11-28 1209 K3BU          599 5      XE2MX         599 06

QSO:  7037 CW 2004-11-28 1224 K3BU          599 5      EY8MM         599 17

QSO:  7009 CW 2004-11-28 1242 K3BU          599 5      DU9/N0NM      599 27
(I was S&P, had plenty of time, no reason to miscopy the calls or not being
able to hear station coming back to me. DU9 is also the one I "didn't work")

Searching DX-Summit spot database I found this:

AD1C       7003.6 EY8MM       under CO8ZZ                   1158 28 Nov 2004

So was it pirate, or Nodir went down to 40 without realizing it, or what (our
harmonics)?
Looks like some EY8MM was on 40, I wasn't alone who heard/worked it.
Wassaaaap? Penalized, Inquiring mind wants to know :-)

>>Now you can check it.
So EY8MM is not "guilty". :)))))
Regards,
Nodir Tursoon-Zadeh, EY8MM<<

You "are guilty", there is at least one witness recorded in the DX-Summit :-)
I suspect that there are more who worked "EY8MM" on 40m that time.

I don't want to start the barrage of investigative threads here, just want to
illustrate my point that SH1T happens, for whatever reason.

I am campaigning for two things:

1. Publicize the logs after checks are done, we can do our own investigating,
find the problems and learn from it. Plus we can admire those top champs and
learn from them.

2. Eliminate the 3 QSO penalty !!!!! It is obvious that there are cases when
some (-N) QSOs can creep in for no operator fault, cheating or whatever,
attaching 3 more QSO penalty is not fair, and cannot be deterrent. If it is not
my
error, how can I be penalized and "learn the lesson"? Penalize the other
whoever if you can catch him.
Argument that it is applied to everybody is just plain ridiculous. We tried
it, it doesn't make a sense, get rid of it!!

ok, one more

3. In CQ WW make own country QSOs count one point. It is unfair to penalize
heavy ham population countries with loss of so many contacts. I can see how way
back, fathers of CQ WW wanted to promote DX QSOs, but today we are competing
in different situation and this unjustified rule distorts the contest results
in a big way. CQ WPX has and it made the contest better, more US stations
participate, everybody wins!

Helloooo, CQ WW contest committee!

73 Yuri, K3BU.us