Re: [CQ-Contest] IRLP Contest

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] IRLP Contest
From: Cqtestk4xs@aol.com
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 17:59:45 EST
In a message dated 3/16/05 10:47:52 PM Greenwich Standard Time,
craig.n7or@gmail.com writes:
The real truth seems to be that you really don't
want any newcomers. Keep ridiculing them, calling them
"shack-on-a-belt" guys.
We do want them.  Whenever I get in my truck and hit the local repeater I try
to talk up contesting and HF in general.  I am pretty much met with apathy
and an attitude that it is better to sit and wallow on a 2 meter repeater than
it is to upgrade and get on HF or contest.

The sad truth is, that most of the local guys are pretty content carrying
their ham shacks on their belts.  Perhaps there will be a change in attitude
when
the FCC gives them HF privileges..the same ones they took away from me in the
60s with incentive licensing, the same ones I had to upgrade to 20 WPM for.
Maybe it's different in other areas, but in the Tampa Bay area that's the way
it is.

Bill  K4XS