[CQ-Contest] Packet Spot Etiquette

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Packet Spot Etiquette
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 10:37:54 -0500
        Here's another reason I dislike Packet.  Saturday
night I was running EU on 1823.5 since 0142z.  About 50
Q's and 1.5 hours later, 9K2MU calls at 0321 for a new
mult.  Yippee!  A few minutes later VE3** appears calling
9K2MU on my frequency.  I send "QRL" but he acts as
he doesn't hear me so I assume he may be on the wrong
VFO and 9K2MU has moved to a nearby frequency.  I
ignore him but my rate suffers for the next 10 minutes until
he gives up and my previous rate continues.  I make a note
to check this out later.

        After the contest I did a little diagnosis and found
the following Packet spots:

K3***      1823.0 9K2MU       ans cqs arnd 23/24            0324 20 Feb 2005

...and

VE3**    1823.8 9K2MU       Sri but W4ZVon 23.6 wont shut 0350 20 Feb 2005

Diagnosis:  K3*** was monitoring me running and heard
9K2MU answer me.  Then he posted the above spot.  VE3**
sees it, grabs the frequency and begins calling the 9K2
blind.  Later he then has the gall to complain on Packet
about ME causing him QRM!   :-)  (but not at the time!)

        Later I sent a note to K3*** suggesting next time
he instead should post:

DX 9K2MU 1800.0 Answering CQ's

This would alert folks to be on the lookout for the DX without
causing some innocent bystander to be clobbered by deaf
and dumb Packet hounds.

                                73,  Bill  W4ZV