RE: [CQ-Contest] Voice Automation Enhancements and the future

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: RE: [CQ-Contest] Voice Automation Enhancements and the future
From: Eric Hilding <dx35@hilding.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 19:44:11 -0800
Mike, WV2ZOW wrote:

> So Eric is developing full voice automation.

I am only one of several folks whacking away at chunks of the "opportunity" pie :-)

> What then would be the difference between operating a phone contest vs. a CW contest?
> Only the ability to copy CW.

Not entirely, IMHO. Phone rates per hour are much higher than CW rates, and it will take a number of "customized" operational short messages that can be triggered real fast to maximize the rates. But if a person can learn CW, and learn to type on a keyboard, then learning how to operate several banks of push buttons to do serious voice-automation can also be learned. Just as some folks still practice CW with the paddles, serious voice-automation contestors will have to do some practicing with their keys (in this case, banks of buttons). But that's where color-coding and segmenting button placements become critical more maximum efficiency. I'm only a v1.0 of what will probably take re-arranging & re-arranging to v7.0 before things work well.

HA! Learning how to effectively use a 35 or 40 button "New Generation Voice-Keyer" can probably be likened to learning how to play a musical instrument !!! Certainly very similar to using a typewrite.

> Next step is voice recognition/CW recognition. If
> the computer does the copying, then there would really be no difference
> between a phone or CW (or for that matter, digital mode or digitized
> voice)contest. Any thoughts?

HA! Considering the difficulty already experienced in a DX contest with dialects, speech patterns, etc. (throw a heavy dose of QSB on top), I think this is a longggggg way off into the future. QRM problems with SSB vs. CW add to the complexity of any type of incoming speech recognition/conversion. Have you tried a 250Hz filter lately on a heavily QRM'd DX station with Arctic flutter and very broken English? :-)

Depending upon your ERP, SSB contesting can also require some different approaches than CW. Getting the Robot-sound minimized with SSB voice-automation is the biggest challenge. Another difficulty in voice-synthesized delivery is that I don't think certain "energy/inflection", etc. will have the same punch. W1VE and I are swapping emails and bouncing around some ideas around. I find it all pretty exciting and am so glad Gerry is hacking away at this stuff too.

73...

Rick, K6VVA