RE: [CQ-Contest] FW: Nov SS op location

To: cq-contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [CQ-Contest] FW: Nov SS op location
From: Doug Smith W9WI <w9wi@earthlink.net>
Date: 14 Dec 2004 08:35:06 -0600
On Tue, 2004-12-14 at 06:48, John WA2GO wrote:
> contact, and should strike it from the log. (Of course, now this brings up a
> curious question - should you strike it from your log? Because if you do,
> you are also editing your log after the contest, and if you don't, you will
> now lose the qso. I suppose since in this case you would be editing the log
> to REDUCE your score instead of to INCREASE it, it's probably a legitimate
> edit, but it might be debatable. It's probably moot, because you probably
> already sent your log in. Though maybe you can replace it - not sure.)

I didn't strike the QSO with the guy who spotted me in the wrong state
in the 10-Meter Contest...

In both cases (mine and W0MU's) the other guy didn't give you any reason
to believe he didn't get your QTH.  (indeed, if he's being honest about
a smudge being the reason for the fill request, *everyone involved*
believed the QSO was complete at the time it was made.)  I don't see any
ethical problem keeping the QSO in your log.

As for responding to the question...  if I believed the other guy was a
non-contester who didn't plan to send in a log, (didn't show up in the
online results on arrl.org) I'd probably consider replying.  Actually,
if he *was* a contester, I'd probably reply anyway - but only after the
log submission deadline.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN  EM66