Re: [CQ-Contest] RE: QRPers calling off freq

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] RE: QRPers calling off freq
From: "Dale L Martin" <kg5u@hal-pc.org>
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 08:27:15 -0600
---
Steve, K0SR, very appropriately made the following comment pertaining to QRP Contest Operators:

> Calling off frequency: Learn how to zero beat. If you're weak, AND on the
> edge of the filter skirts you won't be heard.

Thank you for mentioning this, Steve. I sincerely hope your admonition will help some of the QRP ops, because this is a *big* problem. Too many QRPers are shooting themselves in the foot (especially QRP JA ops as I've observed over the past months).

I think a better Subject title is "Callers calling off freq"

I operated QRP in SSCW and WWCW.

I had the opportunity to have a few good CQ runs during SS CW and had a number of QRP stations call me. To the best I can recall, none used /QRP--that's not to say that there weren't /QRP users out there. They just never called me. Second, I think there were just one or two that were far enough off frequency that I remember it. But, then, I recall a greater number of A/B stations answering my calls and some of them were not on frequency, too!! When I CQ, I'm usually using 1.8kHz or 500 Hz filter depending on congestion. I can recall in one contest, an a/b station was about 1.3 kHz away. I worked him shaking my head. I told him he was off frequency, but I don't thing he 'got it.'

If I get into a pile-up, I will move off frequency a bit. Where the pilee seems to be listening will determine my tactics in the pile. If he's listening pretty much on his zero beat freq, I may try a couple of calls there.

No joy? Then I'll move down in frequency a bit (make my signal tone a bit higher in his headphones). I've found that works very well many, many times. If he's listening up a bit, I may move even farther up on the off chance he may move his RIT.

I generally call on frequency of the target station while S&P'ing. But, there are times when, as I'm tuning up or down the band, I hear a station finish his TU and call before I've zeroed onto his QRG. I'll stop tuning and call, albeit somewhat off frequency. If he gets me, great! If not, I'll move more onto his QRG and call again. If he's in my passband while I'm tuning around (500/250 Hz), I figure I am probably in his passband while he's CQ'ing--if not, maybe he should open up his filters a bit.
Also, all CQ'ers should make it a practice to make sure their RIT/XIT is zero'ed if they, indeed, wants callers to call on their QRG. I called a station in CQ WW CW, moved, called, moved, called, etc., until he was out of even my passband and I had to open it up to 1.8kHz and call yet again before he heard me.

Maybe I'll document these things next contest. :-)

I guess for some CQ'ers, happiness is hearing a steady, solid tone after the CQ.
73,
dale, kg5u