[CQ-Contest] Thoughts On Leveling The Contest Playing Field

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Thoughts On Leveling The Contest Playing Field
From: Eric Hilding <dx35@hilding.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 23:00:24 -0800
When football teams compete, there is really a level playing field. It's not just the ground, but essentially everyone wears the same type of equipment down to the jockstraps. I played football in High School. No different than in contesting, setting aside the radio hardware & antennas, at an individual and/or team player level, it boils down to skill, strategy, decision making, "fair play" and some "luck".

Luck has been defined as: "When preparation meets opportunity" :-)

As someone already pointed out, unfortunately, life is not always "fair" ;-(

I'm all for leveling the playing field in contesting, but all the proposals I've read thus far simply won't cut the mustard. But thanks to computers and digital databases, there are some semi-ethereal things which *could* be done to get closer to the goal (pun intended).

Assuming that 100w category stations are not runing 10KW, then the bru-ha-ha boils down to QTH & antennae. Or does it? Here are a few thoughts to chew on for those hell-bent on pursuing the matter further.

IMHO, the *only* way to even remotely approach any degree of "levelness" would require some fancy computer programming to take into account the following (and apply an "adjustment" factor for *each* station/participant). This would also require, of course, a "Contest Adjustment Factor Committee" to decide upon how the final mix would take place.

1. Tower or antenna height by itself is a sham, because it does not take into account terrain benefits (or vice-versa). A 5el monobander on a 120ft tower in Death Valley, California, might still get squashed by a 3el tribander on a 40ft mast up on a 5,000ft mountain peak depending upon the time of day and angles involved and QTH of who is on the other end of the contest exchange. However, the ultimate contest-sponsor computer program could run every entrant's Lat/Long coordinates and antenna height above ground through Dean's nifty HFTA program. Deviations from some type of established "baseline" would be one adjustment factor. Oh my gosh...one can't overlook "stacked arrays", etc. in the formula I should think.

2. I'm not an antenna guru, but it would seem to me that some of the aspects of #1 above would have more weight + or - depending upon condx/propagation. There might have to be an hourly adjustment tweak or refinement tied to real time propagation data.

3. Geographical QTH would definitely require an adjustment factor. Perhaps an algorithm taking a rolling average of the previous 5 years worth of log submitters in the SS (as an example), could then calculate by band the advantages or disadvantages of a particular QTH vs. the concentration centers of contest participants. Like, Californians can't enjoy the 80/40m "local" range pool of QRP/Low Power/Low Antenna QSO possibilities within the high-density areas enjoyed by "East Coasters". This most certainly would require an adjustment :-)

4. There are probably additional "factors" which would also need adjusting that just haven't come to mind yet, except one for "age". 75 year old CW ops can probably not do a full 48 hour contest without sleep, so to insure the field is as level as possible, here's another factor to consider "adjusting".

5. Certainly, those who have invested thousands (or hundreds of thousands) of dollars ... and the considerable time involved...in putting together first-class state-of-the-art SO2R contest stations should *not* be punished for doing so. Therefore, it would appear the only way to truly level the playing field would have to also give consideration to those who have paid-the-price in a big way to play the game. True equality is also deserving of the responsibility to share by all. So it would seem that all total investment costs in rigs, towers & antennas (plus time at a reasonable rate, because "time is money") would need to go into the mix. The only reasonable solution here would seem to be that contest sponsors would total up the station "investment(s)" by *all* participants, and then *all* participants (who would reap the equal benefits of playing on a level field) would share in an equal pro rata amount of the total as a Contest Entry Fee...albeit it after the fact....when all entries have been submitted.

A. The Big Gun stations would probably be due credits or reimbursements.

B. The Little Pistol Contest Stations would receive "Invoices" to pay for the privilege of NOT having to make big investments of money & time building a Super-Station, but WOULD reap the benefits of having the Big Gun scores adjusted downward to the "level playing field" that all have the same opportunity of playing on..

Hmmm...somehow, this all seems quite reasonable, but I'll sleep on it.

73...

Rick, K6VVA