Re: [CQ-Contest] Stimulating Participation was: LimitedAntenna Height Ca

To: "Kenneth E. Harker" <kenharker@kenharker.com>,CQ Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Stimulating Participation was: LimitedAntenna Height Category
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 16:24:17 -0500
In response to Ken's skepticism, I just took a quick look at some stats. I used the ARRL numbers because they were readily available on-line. These may not be 100 percent accurate, because in a couple of the earlier cases I could not tell whether the totals cited in QST were just competitors or included check logs, but they give a general sense. Later numbers represent the total in the score database, so check logs have been excluded.

ARRL CW SS:  2000 - 1236
             2001 - 1268
             2002 - 1319
             2003 - 1240

ARRL DX CW:  2000 - 2290
             2001 - 2418
             2002 - 2384
             2003 - 2350
             2004 - 2681

ARRL DX PH:  2000 - 2172
             2001 - 2303
             2002 - 2286
             2003 - 2263
             2004 - 2267

ARRL 10M     2000 - 2875
             2001 - 2522
             2002 - 3121
             2003 - 2324

I freely acknowledge that falling sunspot numbers tend to be a drag on participation, particularly in contests like the ARRL 10-meter contest. We also don't know whether the average number of operating hours per log is flat, up or down. Finally, we do not have access to the data, so far as I know, on the total number of calls actually showing up in logs in these contests.

If it is true that only a small proportion of the total on-air participants send in logs, then we have no information on what's happening to the numbers of casual participants. Here I enter the realm of the subjective, because it feels to me, in CW contests in particular, as if the total number of inhabitants of the bands during contests I've entered has declined. I guess that's the exact opposite of Ken's perception.

Bottom line -- "declining" may have been a bit strong, but "flat" seems justified. Should we settle for flat?

73, Pete N4ZR

At 02:30 PM 11/30/2004, Kenneth E. Harker wrote:

On Tue, Nov 30, 2004 at 01:01:16PM -0500, Pete Smith wrote:

> Doesn't mean it isn't still a good idea, particularly
> in the face of flat or declining participation in contests, which is why I
> have brought it up again.

Can you back up that assertion that contest activity is "flat or declining"
with data?  On HF, it is exactly the opposite of my personal observation.

--
Kenneth E. Harker WM5R
kenharker@kenharker.com