Re: [CQ-Contest] windows-based contest programs: a question..

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] windows-based contest programs: a question..
From: "Ed Taylor, G3SQX" <g3sqx@EdTaylor.org>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 16:49:04 -0000

Ian, K5ZM asks:

<< I do seem to recall that WL was extremely "mouse heavy". By that I mean we were always having to dink with the mouse to activate a
field, etc. Assuming that WL is not alone in it's reliance on a mouse, I gotta ask.... WHY??!!!! >>

I suspect for two reasons. First because WL was originally developed for RTTY, where there's no real hurry, even in contests, and you get plenty of time to play with the mouse. Secondly, because Windows programming assumes that is your primary way of navigating, and this is carried over to any program you write.

<< Surely the same fields/tasks can be handled by keystrokes >>

Yes, they could. I'm not sure whether WL implements everything with a keyboard alternative, but correct Windows practice requires it.

My own experience with contest logging programs suggests that using the mouse is counterproductive. In fact, if you're clumsy enough knock the mouse accidentally, and move the focus to the wrong window, you might do some strange and undesirable things (apart from not entering data into the field where you thought it was going). Writelog would be improved considerably if the windows all stayed in the same place once you had decided where to put them, and if the mouse could be disabled on demand.

By the way, EI5DI's program (SD) is a Windows contest program that looks and behaves like a DOS program. That could be the best solution, although it doesn't do networking and the things you need for a multi-op station.

73,

Ed, G3SQX

(with GJ2A this weekend)