[CQ-Contest] Re: [YCCC] Re: SS-CW Tricks et al.

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: [YCCC] Re: SS-CW Tricks et al.
From: "Jamie Dupree" <2004@jdupree.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 22:16:43 -0500
SNIP>> Those contesters who vow and declare
that they wish more new blood would come into the sport ought to go back and
reread that "...tricks" thread from the beginning.  What an enticing message
it sends to prospective contesters.

George W1EBI <<< SNIP>
------

I heartily agree.  One thing I don't see enough of in the contest community
is a lot of advice on the internet about contest operating tips.  And when
you think about it, the pre-contest band map idea, the one guy knowing
where the traffic nets are for certain tough to find mults - what great
tricks for sure - and there are lots of others out there that can be
shared without giving up the family DX jewels...

Think about it - there are great write ups on 3830 about how my rate
was this high and then my big beam got hung up, but the 3D2 QSY'd
with me for five bands, etc....but there is not much stuff out there
for the guy who is scared to death to answer a 35 wpm+ CQ, or
the happy S&P'er, who is thrilled to knock off a few more
5BDXCC's during the big contests, or even the decent contester
(with no beams) who just wants to squeeze out a better rate.

>From time to time, I'll do a Google search about a certain contest
and add in the word strategy.  You don't get very much unfortunately.
CQ WW DX CW and strategy get you 10 hits - none of which really
talks about how to approach a contest, how to prepare, how to
grind out a few more Q's to help your score.

Yeah, you learn a lot of it yourself by operating the contests, by staying
on all night, and observing who does what.   Like a few years ago,
I had no idea I could work a JA on 40 from the East Coast after sunrise.
But I did it once and now I know every year to stick around on 40
and find that double mult in CQ WW CW.   And you don't need a beam to do it.

I guess it would be nice to read more of those tips & tricks and
operating strategies, more than just, I ran 20 for an hour, then went
to 15 and when the rate slowed down I went to 10.

Some of those tips might even get newbies interested in contesting.

Jamie NS3T