Re: [CQ-Contest] DX Participation in NAQP Contests

Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] DX Participation in NAQP Contests
From: John Laney <k4bai@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 09:55:58 -0500
Yes. Those who say "if they can hear US stations with 100 watts, they can work US stations with 100 watts" probably haven't tried it very much when a primarily domestic contest is going on. When we are working each other with 100 watts, we cover up the 100 watt stations from outside North America and they eventually give up and don't call anymore. With a higher power limit for them for participating actually in the contest, they could have a chance for a few NA QSOs.

I know whereof I speak, not only from the standpoint of the A-P Sprints, but also from 13 months as HL9KQ in Korea.

I don't agree with VK2CZ that the Sprint QSY rule makes it easier for the 100 watt station from outside the target area to make QSOs. I think it makes it almost impossible to make such QSOs. Because of the QSY rule, most stations will work each other inside the target area and never hear the 100 watt DX station when he can call for a QSO. In the NAQP, there is no QSY rule, so the DX station can stay on the frequency and call until he is the loudest remaining caller. So, unless there is a huge domestic pileup or the CQ station has trouble hearing weak signals, he will eventually get throught. This is not at all sure when everyone has to QSY every two (or one) QSOs.

73,

John, K4BAI.