Re: [CQ-Contest] Beginner contester question- Duping-Busted etc.

To: wv0q@jbelderok.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Beginner contester question- Duping-Busted etc.
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2003 08:14:10 -0500
At 03:47 PM 12/4/03 -0600, you wrote:
But during log checking they will come to see that I busted EEA/EEE  --
negative points happen ok that's gud.
Then does the REAL EEE become an-unDupe and I get credit?
How does this all work?

If you have a QSO in your log that is not in the other station's log, you are penalized -- how much depends on the contest. Dupe QSOs per se are not penalized if your log is electronically submitted -- in fact Cabrillo format does not mark dupes. So the "second" QSO would be OK (assuming its in the other station's log).

I feel ethically comfortable with the idea that if I "rework" someone (either because he's not in my log or vice versa), AND vmake a note in the log AT THAT TIME (during the contest), I can go back afterward to remove the first QSO (if it's in my log but not his). I do not think it is OK to review the log after the contest, looking for situations where this might be true. Also not smart -- unless you specifically recall, you have as much chance of removing the good QSO as the bad one.

To me, the critical point is whether you found the error and made a note to correct the mistake, while the contest was still on -- then it is directly analogous to writing a note in the margin of your paper log -- it is part of the log and it's no more than legitimate housekeeping to clean up afterward.

One person's opinion...

73, Pete N4ZR The World HF Contest Station Database was updated December 2. 2541 stations are listed -- 72 new and over 100 updated. Are you current? www.pvrc.org/wcsd/wcsdsearch.htm