[CQ-Contest] N3OC's observations and paying your dues...

To: "CQ Contest" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] N3OC's observations and paying your dues...
From: "Chuck" <k3ft@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 16:13:58 -0500
Richard notes, in a paragraph, within his response one VERY COGENT point
that ANY and ALL ops who have become KNOWN as good ops can (and do) verify.

Rich said "At least to some extent it's my previous success that got me the
invitation to operate at WP3R.  Even early in my contesting career, the
local contest gurus heard me on the air and I guess liked what they heard
because I started getting invitations to operate at all the big multi-multis
in my region since 1965 when I started....."

(notice the theme?  HE was on the air... the other guys HEARD him operating
and decided to offer invitations to participate with the big M/M's in the
region....  IT wasn't that HE had a great location, station, or score. It
was that HE was observed, by his peers, on the air and whatever they heard
convinced them to solicit him to participate with them. His opportunities
were driven by MERIT.. and the merit was based on RESULTS actually obtained,
not inherited, paid for, or acquired by  proxy.---not anything else.)

Rich continues...."...But, I spent years operating low power with limited
antennas (made my own monobanders when I was about 14 but envied my buddy
whose dad was a ham so he had a Collins S-Line and commercial TH-3
tribander)..."

Which tells you that he honed skills, learned the ropes, paid dues by
getting on a doing (and improving) and THIS lead him to becoming a 'known
quantity'. Believe me.. Hosts of M/M's and DXpedition stations look at
scores.. talk amongst themselves, compare notes, and have a LOT of
interaction when discussing the ins and outs of folks participating with
them.

He also lists several points of action that are IMPORTANT to becoming known
amongst your peers in the contesting world

Join a contest Club (there are many all over the Country)
Become active - on the air - with contests
Seek out those who do well and ASK questions (An ELMER is an ELMER is an
ELMER)
Make known that you'd like to participate with other stations and DO SO!

This makes you visible.. your scores and abilities will make you desired..
your willingness to be a part of the team will make you valuable.

You WILL become good at what you do to the extent that your abilities allow
you.  I'm not much of an op at home due to limited antennas and LP. BUT!
I've had the pleasure of working at a few of the MD M/M's and a few stints
guest-opping some of the better stations in MD/VA/DE. My scores were
acceptable AND my contributions to the team were recognized.  Ergo.. I get
invites back - and I am very glad to be able to participate.

There's NO MAGIC elixir to becoming a good op.  It's like 'how do you get to
Carnegie Hall?' PRACTICE! PRACTICE! PRACTICE!

Ask ANY op who is a recognized expert in the contest game and they'll tell
you the same as I've described above (and a lot more too!)

I don't know why this 'lights my fuse' as much as it does. I guess I just
find it simply unfathomable WHY someone would bother raising the issue that
was raised..

As Mr. Spock used to say.. "FASCINATING!"

K3FT