[CQ-Contest] N8SM remembered

Subject: [CQ-Contest] N8SM remembered
From: pbarkey@bsu.edu (Barkey, Patrick M.)
Date: Tue Jun 17 15:34:23 2003
We are all shocked and saddened by the sudden passing of Steve Miller,
N8SM (ex-WD8IXE) on June 15.  Steve was a new father, with a lovely
wife and building the station he had always dreamed of.  It was only
three weeks ago that he and I were driving around Dallas, taking in
the sights of K5MR, W5WW and N5YA's fine stations as we remembered
the old Ohio days.  I still can't believe that he is gone.

Steve was a vital member of the K3LR M/M teams in the mid-1990's, and
we are taking his loss very hard.  He and I spent many, many hours,
both in scouring the 20 meter band and in the car driving the 4.5 hours
from Steve's old house in Dayton.  He was really like a rock, responding
to just about anything that happened with a little twinkling smile.

Steve had a mild case of tinitis (ear-ringing), and he had these special
ear-conforming earplugs to help compensate.  I'll always remember how
he'd just smile when you said anything to him while operating
side by side -- and I quickly learned that he never heard a word you
said!  Maybe that was his secret for staying sane around the crazy
characters at Tim's.

Steve was smart, innovative, and enthusiastic.  He was doing what we
all love to do.  May his soul rest in peace.

  - Pat
    N9RV