[CQ-Contest] Self-spotting

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Self-spotting
From: tavan@tibco.com (Rick Tavan)
Date: Sat May 31 14:46:47 2003
Although I believe Walt is incorrect about the rules (Many contests do
explicitly prohibit self-spotting.), his suggestion to post the calls of
likely self-spotters is good. The chess community took this approach
when some players figured out how to lower their ratings by
intentionally losing games for a while in order to qualify to enter
tournaments later in lower classes, winning money competing against
weaker players. Organizers began publishing, alongside tournament
results, the names of players who had experienced dramatic come-backs or
who performed well above their results of the recent past. It was
phrased as a sort of honor list.  I believe some tournament organizers
subsequently began restricting monetary prizes to entrants who had never
received the "honor" of that list.

Of course, we don't have monetary prizes in contesting yet. The only
reason most of us compete in radiosport is to earn the respect of our
peers. Take that away and the wallpaper and trophies shouldn't be worth
cheating for.

/Rick N6XI