[CQ-Contest] No more "QRZed?"

Subject: [CQ-Contest] No more "QRZed?"
From: wk6i@twistedoak.com (Jeff Stai WK6I)
Date: Wed Apr 2 10:20:06 2003
At 05:00 AM 4/2/2003, Bill Coleman wrote:
>I only spent a few hours in the WPX SSB this weekend, but I was very
>frustrated with the number of stations who would finish a contest QSO and
>then simply say: "QRZed?".
>
>This sort of poor operating technique makes me want to crawl through the
>radio and throttle the guy on the other end. I wish there were a rule
>that stated operators had to send their callsign for every QSO, or if
>they used QRZ, they would have to use it in conjunction with their
>callsign.

As one who was occasionally guilty of the above proposed infraction....

- once I realized I was doing something I didn't like being done to me, I
tried real hard not to do it to others, but I still failed on occasion in
the excitement of the moment...

- however, there were a few occasions where I was getting piled on pretty
regularly, and it did occur to me at the time that by NOT throwing my call
out every time, I was allowing the queue to clear before the next wave; and
that this would allow the weaker stations a chance to be heard; and it
actually did work out that way more than once. (perhaps with more practice
I'll get better at pulling the weaker stations out from behind the strong ones)

- on the numerous occasions I encountered the simple "QRZed?" I found that
answering it immediately with my own "QRZed?" would often elicit the desired
(Pavlovian?-) response. Granted, this only worked in the absence of a major
pileup, but more often than not I heard the QRZed with no pileup in evidence...

Hope the above creates some useful discussion - 73 - jeff wk6i

Jeff Stai               jds@twistedoak.com
Twisted Oak Winery      http://www.twistedoak.com/
Rocketry Org. of CA     http://www.rocstock.org/
Amateur Radio           WK6I