[CQ-Contest] how i messed up my audio

Subject: [CQ-Contest] how i messed up my audio
From: n7df@zianet.com (Larry N7DF)
Date: Thu Dec 12 08:33:35 2002
I have an FT 1000 MP MK V and have always tried to keep the SSB audio =
peaked to the best communications quality I can achieve.
I have been pleased numerous times to receive unsolicited favorable =
comments about the audio quality.
Last night I was surprised to get a call from another NM station that my =
audio was really bad, in fact almost unreadable.
I started checking and, listening on the MONITOR circuit, found that he =
was right.  After checking further I found that, instead of turning the =
RF gain fully open after a previous QSO I had turned the processor gain =
fully clockwise.  (The two controls are side-by-side)
I would probably not have realized the mistake for quite awhile if he =
had not told me.
I, for one, really appreciate critical comments on signal quality.
On the other hand I have also found that the noise blankers and DSP can =
definitely give false signal quality indications.
I often have a 20 over 9 noise level here from power lines and have to =
keep the noise blanker on my FT at level B-15 to hear anything on 160 or =
80.   At this setting any nearby CW signal louder than the background =
noise will cause clicks.  It makes things very difficult but, by =
switching off the RF preamplifier when there are nearby strong signals I =
can reduce the problem.

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---