[CQ-Contest] Why IARU?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Why IARU?
From: swca@swbell.net (Mark Beckwith)
Date: Thu Jul 18 10:24:09 2002
I got a reply to my question "why does the WRTC need to be wedded to the
IARU Radiosport?" which informed me it was important for the WRTC to be held
during a contest in order to keep participation up.  Duh (with respect),
that's not what I meant.

I admit it might not have been clear, but my question was not "why does it
need to be wedded to a contest," but why, specifically, the *IARU*?

The IARU Radiosport is certainly not the contest with the greatest
participation.

I was wondering why it couldn't, for instance, be done over 24 hours in the
CQWW or perhaps some other contest-du-jour.  Mode issues?  Does it really
come down to this?

Certainly it changes enough each time even within the IARU that there is not
really a case for consistency.  Is there?

But seriously, the IARU has some liabilities for WRTC as far as I can tell.
Ultimately I would think this event would benefit from consistency, i.e. an
identical event each time, but is this even possible?

Is the WRTC Committee that was formed long ago still at work?

Is the WRTC evolving into such a fantastic, legitimate event that it could
justify its own event?  Is this so huge that it could justify retiring
another event to keep the calendar reasonable?  Would the I-A-R-Union
themselves consider allowing the Radiosport to get moved out of July and be
re-designed to center on the WRTC?  Should the I-A-R-Union actually globally
administrate the WRTC?  Should regional qualifying events be held during
this contest in non-WRTC years?  Should there be separate CW WRTCs and Phone
WRTCs?

Just wondering.

Mark, N5OT