[CQ-Contest] Consider This

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Consider This
From: aa4lr@arrl.net (Bill Coleman)
Date: Thu Apr 25 12:06:48 2002
On 4/24/02 4:09 PM, Ford Peterson at ford@cmgate.com wrote:

>SO2R is to contesting what running two fishing lines is to a fishing
>contest.

Not exactly. SO2R doesn't mean you can transmit on both similtaneously.
You are still constrained to have one transmitted signal on the air at
one time.

It's more like having two fishing lines where only one line is in the
water at a time....

>Comparing a station with two radios to a station with one radio is not a
>fair comparison.

No? I have two radios. (Just built an Elecraft K2) I don't see any
single-radio operators quaking in their boots over it.

>Comparing a station with a beam and a dipole is very
>comparable to a station with 6 mono banders.  In each case, only one antenna
>gets used at a time.

Define "used".

And I disagree. A tribander and a dipole is not comparable to multiple
tribanders or monoband antennas. In fact, the CQ WPX committee agrees
with me. That's why they have the TS category. Even so, there's a huge
difference in the "T". A Butternut HF5B isn't comparable to a Force12
C51XR.

>SO2R is more akin to multi-multi operation than a multi-single.

Not at all. Only one transmitted signal. Only one operator. I don't see
any relation at all to the multi-operator categories.

However, a Multi-Single station configuration often makes an adequate
SO2R station.

>  To compare
>SO2R to a single op-single radio is quite unfair.

Not at all. It's just one guy with more equipment!

>  There is nothing
>"political" about it.  It's simple physics, rudimentary probabilities, basic
>ergonomics.

Poppycock.

>SO2R should be a category on its own, just like the "assisted" notion we now
>embrace as "logical."

No! Assisted involves having some other person do spotting of stations
for you. SO2R is ONE guy. UNO! What's worse, he's got more hardware to
manage.

Further, modern radios really confuse the SO2R issue. Is a guy using an
FT-1000 using two radios? The MP can receive in two portions of the same
band, and the FT-1000D can receive on two different bands? The new TenTec
Orion may make the whole situation worse (Unlike the Yeasu, it is unclear
if the Orion blanks both receivers during transmit).

Look again. The category is "Single Operator". The contest sponsors
typically make no mention of how much equipment he is using. So long as
the condition of one transmitted signal at any one time, appropriate
power level, and assistance (or lack thereof), there is no reason to make
a different category just because someone listens to more than one
receiver at a time.

            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901